Friday, October 10, 2008

Frustrated

So last night I get a phone call from my biological father. For those of you who dont know me so well my parents have been divorced since I was 9, and then at age 16 my father and I had a falling out where he did not even bother to communicate with me or my little brother who would have been 7 at the time for 6 years. He just dropped off the face of the earth for that amount of time and then when I had my son in 1995 I got back in touch with him. He is my father and the grandfather to my children and I know God's word says to honor your parents but there are some parents who make that extremely hard. So here is what has me so frustrated right now.
We havent seen him in probably a little over a year and phone calls are usually hit or miss (mostly miss since we are always running so much) but we were actually home for once last night and get this phone call from him and in the course of conversation he mentions how it has been so long since he has seen us or the kids. Now...every soccer season and ballet school year I email my childrens activities to all of the Grandparents (My LH's parents are divorced as well). I realize during the weekday it may be a little more difficult for them to get to a soccer game but my handsome guy is also playing on a Saturday league. So when my father mentions how it has been so long since he has seen us I say well you know there have been plenty of Saturday games they (he is living with his girlfriend/fiance) could have been coming to. And do you know what he says? They have Yoga on Saturdays!!!!!!!! Now....we cant miss just one yoga class for his grandson????!!!! It just angers me. Yoga...yoga?! What is one Saturday morning or afternoon even to see his grandson play soccer?? I guess I shouldnt expect too much since he did the same thing to me when I was a kid, and realizing I need to give that up to God...because obviously I still carry that around...but to be repeating the same behavior to my children is just unacceptable. I do realize it is more important for me and my LH to be at their activities...but I know in their hearts that they wish their grandparents would come and see them too. Now I have to give props to our mothers...they at least usually make it to one. My LH's father and step mother usually choose to babysit my LH's step sister's dog instead of attending something for our kids. I guess there is a part of me that wonders what kind of house hold did these men grow up in? Were their fathers as uncaring and uninvolved as they are? Is that what has made them this way? Is it the era? Are all men from that time period the same? One thing is for sure...last night when I was venting to God about this one thing he impressed on my heart is that one of the reason's we have these men around us is to see what type of grandparents we dont want to be to our future grandchildren. Well, anyway...I obviously need to make time to pray about this matter...it has me so frustrated or maybe the right word would be hurt.

2 comments:

Livin' Life said...

I completely understand. Are kids have one set of Grandparents they cannot be involved with at this time and one set that chooses not too. I think it really does effect them deep down inside at times. That's why we too go to their events and support them. I don't want to be a grandparent like this either.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to email you my comment later because I rather not leave it out here for the public :)